Traditional Chinese Medicine has been helping us improve our holistic self-care for several centuries now. Today the world is facing the covid threat and clinical studies are being done to explore various effective ways to alleviate the covid threat or even to help people manage the related symptoms. Some of these studies point to alternative medicine and TCM. Now, let’s explore how TCM can help us prevent and fight off the common mild covid symptoms.
In a Journal of Clinical Medicine study that reviewed 855 patients with covid-19 and conducted by a research team led by Lin Ang, they found that the combined treatment of Western medicine and TCM is effective in addressing covid symptoms such as dry and sore throat, fever, cough as well as fatigue. The study supports the idea that TCM has been effective in fighting infectious diseases for almost two centuries now.
Effective Ways to Address Mild Covid Symptoms Through TCM
As a general guidance for these tips, please take note that all of the methods and herbal recipes may not be suitable for everyone. It is strongly recommended to consult with a TCM practitioner before you apply the tips.
TCM & Fatigue
Fatigue is one of the most common mild symptoms of the health condition. When this happens, the protective Qi of the patient is weakened during or after fighting the flu. Here are some acupressure tips that you can do at home to relieve yourself of fatigue.
1. Locate the Zu San Li point. It is found on the lower leg’s anterior aspect and 3 cun under our kneecap.
2. Once found, gently massage Zu San Li continuously for a minute in a circular manner. This will help relieve you of the fatigue you are experiencing.
On top of this, you can also make and drink a TCM herbal tea especially to boost immunity and fight fatigue. For this herbal therapy, you will need 9g astragalus root, 9g American ginseng, 3g Radix Polygalae, 3g Dried Tangerine peel and 3g Patchouli.
To make the tea, just put all the herbs into a teapot and add boiling water into the teapot. Let the tea simmer for around five or up to 10 minutes and drink while it is still warm.
TCM & Mild Headache
Acupressure and herbal tea are also effective in fighting off mild headache covid related. As for the acupressure, here are the instructions to follow.
Before doing so, another word of caution: this acupoint must be avoided by pregnant women.
1. Locate the He Gu point. It is found in your hand between our 1st and 2nd metacarpal bone; specifically at the middle of the 2nd metacarpal bone.
2. Once found, make a half-clench position with your hands and use your thumb to massage the acupressure point in a gentle manner. Expect some soreness. Continue massaging it until you feel okay.
3. Do the same steps with your other hand.
As for herbal tea for a mild headache covid, you will need 9g Dahurian Angelica Root, 9g White Chrysanthemum and 3g Licorice Root.
Preparation and cooking instructions are below:
1. Put all the ingredients in water and soak for half an hour.
2. Pour the water into a pot. Ensure that the heat is in a medium heat setting. Bring the water to a boil.
3. Cover it and let the tea simmer over low heat for 15 mins.
4. Drink the tea while warm; two times a day to fight off headache covid related.
TCM & Mild Sore Throat
Dry throat can also be relieved by acupressure and special herbal tea. For the acupressure:
1. Locate the Lu-10 or Yu Ji point on the palm
2. Once found, massage it gently for 30 seconds.
The special herbal medicine that can help alleviate sore throat is easy to make. You will need 9g Honeysuckle, 9g Radix Ophiopogonis, 9g Radix Schrophulariae, 6g Radix Platycodi, 6g Burdock seeds and 3g Licorice Root.
1. Mix them all in water. Let it stand for half an hour.
2. Boil the water with herbs in a pot over medium heat.
3. Cover it and let the mixture simmer over low heat for another 15 mins.
4. Drink the team two times a day.
Our mental health is also at risk during these times as the governments have implemented various regulations to prevent the spread of the virus. You can do some breathing exercises to help manage tension, anxiety and stress. You can also reach out to TCM doctors to discuss your mental and physical conditions. Oriental Health offers TCM virtual consultations to assist you and provide you additional guidance to strengthen your and your family’s immunity.
Above all, let’s continue to practice: social distancing, proper and regular hand washing as well as masking up to prevent the spread of the virus. We are here to support you during this time. Contact us and know more about our treatments and services.