A study by Professor Sabina Lim, at the East-West Medical Research Institute at Kyung Hee University in Seoul, South Korea, showed that auricular acupuncture decreases 6% in body mass index after 8 weeks of treatment. Our weight loss program combines the positive effects of acupuncture with herbal therapy:
- increasing metabolism and enhancing digestion and use of nutrients by adjusting hormone imbalances
- drop in Insulin and Leptin that are regulating metabolism and fat storage
- increase of Ghrelin, a hormone regulating hunger and the distribution and rate of use of energy
- reduction of stress hormone Cortisol, a major disruption hormone for digestion contributing to depression
- addressing weight gain due to menopause symptoms or PMS
- strengthening the function of the liver, responsible for break down of fat and processing nutrients
- improving muscle tone of stomach helping to alert abdominal fullness early
- curbing appetite and quelling cravings with a natural treatment without side effects
Source: Burak Bahal et al., 2012; Pacific College, 2013
Traditional Chinese Medicine Solutions
Traditional Chinese Medicine treatments help to maintain a healthy human body by promoting blood circulation, spleen, liver and kidney efficiency and adjusting the yin and yang. Addressing hormone imbalances, metabolism rate, overeating, poor nutrition and the lack of exercise contributes to weight-loss. Several studies have shown that when acupuncture is combined with traditional methods of weight loss, patients lose more weight (Pacific College, 2013).
Acupuncture treatment stimulates the release of Endorphin, the body’s natural “feel good” hormones. That creates a calming, relaxing effect, which counteracts the need for excessive eating. Our acupuncturists can stimulate acupuncture points to affect various organs:
- spleen and thyroid for adjustment of metabolism rate and sugar digestion
- endocrine system and kidneys to treat water retention, stimulate nerve and hormonal balance
- adrenal and ovary glands to treat weight loss due to hormonal imbalances during menopause and PMS
Using various acupuncture points in auricular acupuncture such as the Point Zero, the Sympathetic Autonomic Point or Shen Men point can help to calm and solve anxiety, anger, frustration and insecurity that may lead to eating disorders (Joey Komada, L.Ac.).
An important concept of Chinese medicine is to diagnose properly and treat the patient individually with appropiate herbs. Every formula will include vitamins, minerals, herbs antioxidants, phytochemicals and nutraceuticals. The herbal solution supports the weight loss with acupuncture by balancing blood sugar which gives the body strength, energy and helps to maintain a healthy balance. Depending on the condition the practitioner might add herbs such as Codonopsis to tonify stomach energy and descend food properly through the digestive tract. Depending on the body type herbs added might resolve dampness, promote digesiton of various food and help dissolving accumulated food with digestive liquids (NYU Langone, 2012; Joey Komada, L.Ac.).
What are the benefits of TCM?
- Effectively treating the cause of overweight
- Tailored treatment to your specific body type
- Mild treatments without side-effects
- Using all-natural medicine